Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Coconut Spiced Vegetables

I made this tonight; it was really yummy but not "out of this world" yummy. I will definitely add it to my list of favorites though and make it on occasion. When I made it I tripled the recipe and if I make it again I will add triple more the amount of Asian Chili Sauce.

Coconut Spiced Vegetables

1/4 c. almonds
1-2 tsp. asian chili sauce
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp. Braggs (can substitute soy sauce)
1 Tbsp. dark sesame oil

1 carrot, chopped
1 c. cauliflower, chopped
1 c. broccoli, chopped
6 mushrooms, chopped
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
1 c. chinese cabbage, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped

In a blender or food processor, blend together the almonds, chili sauce, coriander, ginger, onion, and Braggs. In a large saucepan on medium heat, saute the almond mixture in oil for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, and 1/2 the coconut milk and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Add the remaining coconut milk, cabbage, and red pepper, turn off heat, and let sit covered for 5 minutes.

I just realized as I was typing the instructions that I actually sauted the vegetables for 3-4 minutes prior, not the almond mixture. Maybe sauteing the almond mixture first will bring out more flavor:) This was a pretty quick meal, only took me about 20-30 minutes from start to finish. All the kids said the same thing, "It was pretty good." So not, OMG that was so awesome!! But a winner:)

No comments: