Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Green Smoothies

This is a recipe that many people have been asking me to post.  This is something we make just about every day in this house, usually as an afternoon snack.  I got this recipe (the basics) from a raw food workshop that I went to but I've changed it up a bit.  It is yummmy and there is not one person in this family that doesn't ask me to make them daily (including Rylee who doesn't eat anything that is green), so here is my version:

Green Smoothie

big handful of spinach
couple leaves of kale, de-stemmed (if you blend with stems it will be stringy)
one banana
one apple, peeled
one pear
two oranges, juiced (I just use a simple hand juicer)
1/2 of a lemon, juiced
1/2-1 inch cube of ginger, chopped up in a couple of pieces
2-4 Tbsp honey
1/2 c-1 c. water
12-15 ice cubes

Blend up in blender until smooth.  Enjoy!!

1 comment:

The Piercey Family said...

Thanks! I bought a juicer as I'm diving into "FoodMatters" raw food diet. I HATE it. I can't seem to find a juice that doesn't upset my stomache - and I mean doubled over in pain! They have a superfoods smoothie, but this looks great! Here's one for you - perhaps you know this already. You mentioned cheating back in 2007 (?) with butter on your popcorn. Try hemp oil with sea salt... or better yet hemp oil with nutritional yeast. Very yummy and I don't miss butter at all!